World Kindness Day is November 13th, a day set aside to recognize good deeds in our local communities and celebrate the considerable power of kindness. One community we are all familiar with is the one in our workplace, and it’s a great place to spread kindness, not only for the engagement benefits, but the good karma as well. Here are five tips for making the most out of the day, in no particular order:
- Write/text someone a message of gratitude – Is there someone at work that hasn’t heard from you in a while? Take the time to send a nice message, and they may be encouraged to pay it forward.
- Organize a charitable donation drive – Choose a local charity and collect donations for the day. Charitable opportunities are great for engagement, and increase the good vibes all around.
- Reward employees with special recognition – If you have a recognition system, create a special award or eCard for all of your employees, and spread the kindness far and wide.
- Buy some coffee/breakfast/lunch – What could be kinder than providing sustenance? Managers who want to be an engagement hero would do well to surprise their teams with a nice coffee or meal.
- Practice mindfulness – Simple mindfulness practice can make every interaction more productive. Make an effort to calmly acknowledge and accept your thoughts and feelings as you go through the day.
The great thing about all of these tips is they can apply to every workday, not just World Kindness Day, so keep them in your pocket and always be on the lookout for opportunities to be grateful. Here’s wishing everyone dealing with the stresses of work a bit of kindness, calm, and peace.